Top of page
Skip to main content
Main content

Gain Research Experience

The Department of Psychology encourages undergraduate majors and prospective majors to get involved in ongoing faculty projects as research assistants. Working in a research lab can be a crucial component of deciding whether to pursue graduate study in psychology as well as an opportunity to learn about specific fields in more detail.

Research opportunities for undergraduates may be identified through postings on the bulletin board next to Suite 270 on the main floor of the Psychology department, from the e-mail information sent to majors, or by contacting faculty whose interests match yours.

Earn Academic Research Credit

Back to top

Students can participate in research for academic credit through Psychology 499R (declared majors only) or Psychology 494R (study abroad credit). 

Majors with outstanding academic performance will be nominated at the end of the junior year to perform Honors research as seniors.

Directed Research and Directed Reading

Permission is required to enroll in Directed Research (PSYC 499R/494R) and/or Directed Reading (PSYC 498R).

Directed research (working in a psychology laboratory under the supervision of a faculty member or study abroad) and reading (writing a literature review of a special topic) courses must be directed by approved psychology department faculty.

We encourage majors to enroll in Directed Research (PSYC 499R/494R) and Directed Reading (PSYC 498R). One enrollment in PSYC 499R or PSYC 494R for 3 or more credit hours may be counted as an elective towards courses required for the major.

Eligible Supervisors are on the 498R/499R Contract Form

A list of regular faculty members of the psychology department who are eligible to supervise PSYC 498R and PSYC 499R may be found on the back of the 498R/499R contract form.  

Please contact Lorenza Houser for the 498R/499R contract forms. They must be completed and returned to Lorenza Houser for enrollment

Only faculty members whose names are on this list may supervise 498R/499R work.

Students must register for these courses prior to the close of the schedule change period each term.

Emory Research Programs and Student Employment

Back to top

Research experiences in psychology may be gained through undergraduate research programs such as Scholarly Inquiry and Research Experience (SIRE) or Summer Undergraduate Research Experience (SURE) or on a paid basis through the federal work-study program or through individual laboratories who are seeking student employees.